Alonso will replace Vettel at Aston Martin in 2023.

Two-time world champion Spanish Formula One driver Fernando Alonso will move from Alpine to Aston Martin in 2023 on a multi-year deal, the British construction team said in a statement on Monday.

Alonso, who turned 41, will replace Germany’s Sebastian Vettel, a four-time world champion who announced his retirement last week at the end of the current season.

Alonso, who won two F1 world titles in 2005 and 2006, said the Aston Martin team, owned by Canadian billionaire Lawrence Stroll, whose son Lance drives another car, “clearly puts in the energy and drive to win.” one of the most exciting teams in Formula 1 today.”

“I’ve known Lawrence and Lance for many years and it’s clear they have the ambition and passion to succeed in Formula One,” added the Spaniard, who finished eighth at the Hungarian Grand Prix on Sunday and is currently tenth in the the world. championship score.

He added, “I still have the drive and ambition to fight to be on the front lines and I want to be part of an organization committed to learning, growing and succeeding.”

The Spaniard began his career in the world first category in 2001. He won his two world titles in 2005 and 2006 with Renault but failed to build on them during his career with McLaren or Ferrari.

The driver, who is considered by his colleagues to be one of the best in the world in the first category, retired from the sport in 2018, going to the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Indianapolis 500 and the Dakar Rally.

He returned to F1 with Albin in 2021 with his 98th podium finish at the Qatar Grand Prix.

He won his last victory at home in Barcelona in 2013.

Source: AFP

Related Stories