Newspaper: Second US mercenary killed in Ukraine

The Washington Post reported on Monday that U.S. citizen Steven Zabelsky was killed in the fighting in Ukraine.

The newspaper cited an obituary published in a local newspaper in Cannes, where Zabelsky lived, that the obituary was written by relatives of the murdered American, adding that the information about his murder was confirmed by the US State Department. “So at least a second U.S. citizen has died in this war,” she said.

The newspaper investigated that 52-year-old American Zabelsky from New York State died on May 15 during the fighting on the outskirts of the village of Doronyanka. At home, the man left a wife and 5 adopted children.

The newspaper also cited a Foreign Ministry source as saying that after his death, the ministry contacted the family of the deceased and provided them with “all necessary consular assistance,” without giving any other details on the matter, “out of respect for the family at this unfortunate time.”

The newspaper reported that the first American killed in Ukraine was Willie Joseph Kinsell, whose death spread in early June.

And the British newspaper The Telegraph previously reported that the Russian military arrested two American mercenaries who fought on the side of Kyiv, on the outskirts of the city of Kharkov. He added that Americans Alexander Druki, 39, and Andy Heughan, 27, were the first Americans arrested by the Russian military. For its part, the US State Department said that it has unconfirmed information about the families of two Americans and is currently investigating their fate in cooperation with their families, the Ukrainian authorities and the Red Cross.

Source: RIA Novosti

Related Stories